Sunday, August 1, 2010

Empty Nest Syndrome




This is the daddy bird keeping an eye on the box in the tree with his baby bird.
And below is baby bird still alive after the big storm =0)

Well I really didn't think I'd be experiencing empty nest syndrome until the girls left for college but I got a literal case of it this morning. It all started Friday when I heard the girls getting serious on the back deck in their adventure play. It turned out they were throwing rocks at our cat to keep it from eatting a baby bird that had fallen out of its nest. Since here in the Cascades, trees are 100's of feet off the ground, we couldn't exactly find the nest and return the bird. We could see the daddy bird staying near by singing. At one point I held the baby bird up and he flew and hovered near us to see the baby. When Elwood came home he got a ladder and put a little nest as far up as he could in a nearby tree. The dady bird fed him almost immediatly. From our bird book we figured they were Western Tanagers. That night we had lightning/thunder storm -not normal for here). I was quite happy to scale the ladder and see my little bird alive Saturday morning. This morning, however, I was worried I didn't hear him peeping. When I got to the top of the ladder I was shocked to see an empty nest. I guess our little guy figured out how to fly.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow - you guys are true rescue heroes :o) Elwood is a brave man - We don't do so well with heights in this house!

Engendo said...

what a cool story!